Mathematical Modelling with CFD is the base
Figure: Flow & Temperaures inside a regenerator
After decades using Physical Modelling, Mathematical Modelling with Computer Fluid Dynamics (“CFD”)” has become a powerful tool in combustion and glass melting over the last years to analysis and forecast processes and processes variations.
The main reasons are:
- Perfect process insight view to particulary understand the context
- Simulating process modifications prior to any physical change to minimize CAPEX
- CFD supports R&D to minimize CAPEX and reduce time-to-market
- CDF is a risk assessment tool and supports SHEQ
- Dramatic increase of computational power, every year workstations with faster CPU and more memory are available at lower costs.
- Improved handling and post processing
- Faster mathematics for solving differential equations
- The physics and the number of the sub models is improving
- Better validation of the CFD results vs. measurements